Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Day in Kindergarten



I had no picture for the subject of this post. Thus said, I chose a picture of my fellow exchange students. This is by far and large not near all of them. However, you can see the confusion, excitement, comradeship, and food that I share with these people. We have people from all over the world. Australia, France, Germany, Finland, Czech Republic, Hong Kong, Italy, Canada, US, Argentina, Colombia, etc. They are great fun.

On to the subject of this post. On Tuesdays, I have only one class. That class happens to be at 7:00 in the morning. There are people who question my judgement when it comes to a 7:00 in the morning class. Believe me when I say that I have reasons for taking the class but when it comes to getting up to go to school, I have a hard time remembering them.

Regardless, I have the class and then I have all day to do whatever. Today, I went to school with Carla (my host mom). She is the coordinator for all the English taught in a bilingual school. It is considered a Kindergarten but encompasses 2-4/5 year olds. We walked into every classroom and Carla introduced me as her friend from the United States that wants to learn Spanish. She would then proceed to ask them if they thought they could help me. It was quite comical.

Every classroom played a song in English and sang it for me. I don't think I have ever had that many people sing for me in one day. The energy of young children is amazing. It is also amazing how shy they can become for no apparent reason. I probably need to realize that I am most likely bigger than most of their dads and that could be somewhat intimidating.

I walked into one class (most likely 3 year olds) and was immediately greeted by a little girl that blurted out "Que quapo!". For those of you who don't speak Spanish, that means "how handsome". I was asked about my favorite colors, movies, Indiana, the cold, etc. It is hilarious to hear what is important to children. In one classroom, 6 kids wanted to be astronauts, 5 wanted to be doctors, there was a policeman, a teacher, a ballerina, and Justin Bieber. They have big dreams.

Oh, and a kid invited me to his house to eat with him and his parents. I didn't go but I wasn't opposed. He was pretty cool.

3 comments:

  1. This makes me laugh. I love that they thought you were so handsome. You are the exotic foreigner now. :) I read Jon your posts and we just laughed.
    love,
    amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to think of you as the foreign exchange student, but I guess that is truly what you are! Why wouldn't a little girl think you are handsome? You mother does too!

    For those having a hard time posting comments, I'll tell you what works for me. I write the post, then pick "google account" and hit preview. I hit preview 3 times before I get the screen to sign into my google account. I'm not sure why, but that's what works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should be able to post anonymously. I changed the settings. There should be no need to sign in. Just choose anonymous as "Comment as:"

    Jay

    ReplyDelete