Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Mexico City: Part 1

I have had quite the weekend. On Friday, you clearly saw that I had a very productive day, what with hanging out with archeological site security guards, taking photos of pyramids, etc. The madness continued on Saturday. I woke up late, ate some breakfast, generally chilled, and waited for Ale to return from a field trip. Upon her return, we all went to a really nice restaurant for Claudia's birthday. I ate too well, and we convinced Franco to come to Mexico City with us.

We purchased bus tickets, hopped on the bus, and headed south at about 7:00. We arrived in Mexico somewhere around 9:00 and Pablo picked us up from the bus station. On the way back, we stopped at the main convent in Mexico City and I took pictures of the cathedral. It was really pretty and my pictures don't do it much justice. Apparently if the outside impresses you, wait until you go inside. Apparently everything is covered in gold and very elaborate. (I didn't go inside.)

Upon our arrival to Pablo's house, we spent time with them as well as some of their cousins from the other side. The following day, we went out to eat in a little restaurant somewhere in the mountains after driving for a very long time on rutty, bumpy, dirt roads. It was sweet. I think we got lost but they claimed they just wanted me to see the terrain. It was super cool.

The restaurant was awesome! It was really open, had motorcycles and four-wheelers parked out front (there was a motorcycle track that we passed equipped with an ambulance--they were serious). I was told that the sopes and quesadillas were good so I ordered a sope and a quesadilla. I got two sopes instead. I ate those, ordered a quesadilla, ate that, etc. When I first looked at the menu, there was something called trucha. I asked Ale about it and all I got was that it was some type of animal. That sounded kind of suspect so I opted out. Trucha ended up being entire cooked fish. Head, tail, fins, everything. I ate about a third of the mom's on the other side (the tail third). It was delicious. Had I known it was going to be that good, I would have went with trucha off the start. Way to blow it Ale.

Too be continued...

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What an amazing start to your culture tour of Mexico City. Already excited to read "Part 2"! We love you, Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. trucha = trout (fish)

    ReplyDelete