Friday, February 4, 2011

El Cerrito

I'm sure I have told most of you, but I live right next to a pyramid. It isn't anything to fancy, I doubt that Gru or Vector have ever thought about stealing it. However, it is something to call my own.

With that being said, I finally made it over to check it out. To my great disappointment, I will not be able to climb this pyramid while I'm here. (I had grand Rocky-like visions of running up the pyramid and watching the sunset as I drank an ice-cold Coke out of a glass bottle.) Alas, these dreams will not come to fruition (on this pyramid).

With my Tec ID, I can get into any museum, archeological site, etc. for free. It is pretty nifty. After being whistled at and directed in the correct direction by some construction workers (it wasn't sexual, they were just trying to get me attention to tell me where to go). Apparently I look a little lost everywhere I go. Go figure.

There was only one guide and he was off giving a tour when I arrived. I therefore read some of the literature available about the site and proceeded to the next bench over from the security guard in the shade. He was a good ol' boy, most like 60+ years old and was a great time to talk to. I didn't talk to him at all in English and I don't know if he spoke any. I asked him a lot of questions about plants, liquor, etc. (It makes sense actually, the plants are used to make the liquor.) The Maguey is in the agave family. It is the extremely large plant to the left of the one with yellow stripes. What you do is cut off the stem that is going to bloom, wait for sugar water to collect in the basin that is left, scoop it out, allow it to ferment naturally, and then drink it. It is called pulque. It is a poor man's drink and is quickly dying out as a common drink. We had a great time talking.

A couple from north of Boston showed up and it was fun talking to them too. We went on the tour, saw the sights, and chatted.

Amy, I did what you told me. Do I look goofy enough?

I threw in a picture of an Aztec pyramid sculpted from the finest of Alabama's sands. We got it pretty close if I dare say so.

No comments:

Post a Comment