Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Domingo Comida

Here in Mexico, the main meal of the day is some time between 2 and 4 o-clock in the afternoon. This meal is called Comida and it literally means "food". Domingo means Sunday.

Knowing that it was my birthday, Carla told me I could invite some friends over and we could all eat Comida together in honor of my birthday.

She made invitations, maps, and the food. All I had to do was to invite people. I haven't changed that much since coming to Mexico. I didn't get people invited until Saturday (the party was Sunday). I know, you are saying that I am so spoiled and I need to learn how to plan my life. I will tell you that you are right. However, contrary to popular belief, I do have what could seem to be a plan. It is more of a point in the future that I can see and I really don't care how I get there.

I went to Lalo and Silvia's house for a Bible study before the party. They are a couple with ties to Apostolics and are doing a lot in the form of reaching out to people about Christ in Queretaro. I was going to return home on the bus but ended up waiting for one of the people I had invited for a while before waiting for the bus. We then waited for the bus for an extraordinarily long time and then rode the bus for another hour.

Never in this process did I think that I should have taken the taxi until I got to the house (the bus is so cheap). I ended up being over an hour late for my own party.

I forgot to take pictures (once again--proof that I haven't changed much). Therefore, I have found some pictures on Google to help illustrate my point.

Carla prepared enchiladas with black mole for us. It was way too delicious. I had leftovers last night and it was like I was reliving a dream. My guests ended up being two guys from Michigan (Seth and Eric), Jirka (featured in the Bernal post), and a girl from Australia named Melissa. Melissa's roommates were also invited but did homework instead of coming to comida. After Melissa's return home and her exuberant praises about the food, they immediately regretted their decisions.

Seth, Eric, and Jirka bought and presented me a birthday gift! Because I so needed them, they purchased me some adult diapers! This was clearly a plan hatched by Eric. However, it has been reported that Jirka was on the way over to talk to employees about where to find adult diapers before the other guys had a chance to finish telling him their plan.

It was hilarious and a great time! I of course tried on a pair (over my clothes) and modeled them for my friends. I do believe that picture will end up being used is some nefarious plot against me some day. If I had it, I wouldn't be too far from posting it myself. Hopefully I can get it and we'll save it for a rainy day.

1 comment:

  1. Ok. It's been two days and no one has commented, so........

    Your life sure sounds adventurous! I'm a little envious of you wearing shorts. If we did that here, we'd soon be in a box. :)

    ReplyDelete